I almost feel a little silly posting a “recipe” for this, since it’s super simple and I’m sure most people can make pico de gallo in their sleep. But this space is about sharing what comes out of my kitchen, and this one is such a summertime staple for us, I couldn’t hold back. Plus it looked so beautiful, I couldn’t resist snapping a few photos of it perched on our pretty new table.
I’m still a relatively new tomato lover, and cherry tomatoes were definitely my gateway fruit. Taylor and I are chips and salsa devotees and there is nothing like the first cherry tomatoes of the season to rescue our sad selves from jars of canned salsa. I feel so proud of myself every time a new, ripe little fruit appears on my plant. I love cherries for their sweet tart taste, but also for their crisp texture. Small, easily halved or quartered and quick. I had some left over from an event last week and tossed in the 10-15 ripe ones I plucked from the backyard.
As soon as I threw in the last dash of salt, Taylor and I greedily dove into the bowl. I even ended up forgoing our plans for dinner to eat a bowlful of chips, smashed avocado and a healthy helping of this salsa instead. With some sweet cilantro flowers from the garden mixed in and some onions from our CSA, we were in heaven. Bring it on summer, we’re ready for you.
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 onion (red or white), diced
- 2 jalapeno, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro (cilantro flowers MAKE this dish), chopped
- zest & juice of 1 lime
- olive oil
- sea salt
- Wash & chop tomatoes. Dice onion and jalapeno. Mince garlic. Chop cilantro. Zest & juice lime.
- Add all to a bowl and mix. Season with salt (takes more than you think) and drizzle with good olive oil.
- *Best enjoyed with tortilla chips and a healthy serving of avocado.